The League of Ordinary Gamers
OBS Studio 0.13.x - How I've moved on from Bandicam - Printable Version

+- The League of Ordinary Gamers (http://forum.vaygrim.com)
+-- Forum: The Lobby (http://forum.vaygrim.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: The A/V Club (http://forum.vaygrim.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: OBS Studio 0.13.x - How I've moved on from Bandicam (/showthread.php?tid=79)

OBS Studio 0.13.x - How I've moved on from Bandicam - Vaygrim - 02-29-2016

When I first started the whole Youtube thing, I was a powerful advocate of DXTory. It had great performance, did what I needed, and generated files of reasonable size. Eventually however, buggy updates for DXtory got pushed out, the developer vanished and I had to find something else to replace it. This is when Bandicam showed up on the scene for me. Multiple separate audio tracks, great performance speeds, reasonable file sizes. It worked great, unless a new feature got pushed out during an update.. then things might be broken for a week or two. Otherwise Bandicam has proven a valuable tool for me.

During this entire time however, I've been keeping an eye on the development of OBS Multiplatform, recently renamed to OBS Studio. Impressive features, new Nvidia codec support, multitrack audio recording (up to FOUR tracks!?), and much much more. Stability has been honed in and performance is amazing, all in all I've been extremely impressed with OBS Studio.

For the better part of the last month I've been using OBS Studio as my 'daily driver' recording software for everything from Fallout 4 and The Banner Saga to Minecraft and Guild Wars 2. I am officially an OBS Convert now, and cannot wait to see what great features get added to it over the coming months!

RE: OBS Studio 0.13.x - How I've moved on from Bandicam - A7XShadows - 03-01-2016

Thanks for the heads up on OBS Studio. I have downloaded it, but I haven't really had time to mess about with it, but 4 audio stream recording sounds like a great feature. I assume you can set something like Skype as a separate audio source so if you're recording co-op games, you can record your friends audio in a separate stream, as opposed to it being lumped in with the game audio? This would be really handy to get audio levels just right on game, friend and mic audio.

RE: OBS Studio 0.13.x - How I've moved on from Bandicam - Vaygrim - 03-01-2016

(03-01-2016, 11:07 AM)A7XShadows Wrote: Thanks for the heads up on OBS Studio.  I have downloaded it, but I haven't really had time to mess about with it, but 4 audio stream recording sounds like a great feature.  I assume you can set something like Skype as a separate audio source so if you're recording co-op games, you can record your friends audio in a separate stream, as opposed to it being lumped in with the game audio?  This would be really handy to get audio levels just right on game, friend and mic audio.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get say Skype or Teamspeak on a seperate audio track from the game audio.. but you'd still be able to HEAR them. Right now I just put game audio and Discord (what I use for Voice Comms now) on the same track and equalize 'live'. Still working on that, will update once I figure it out.

Beyond that I've been seriously impressed with the stability, versatility, and over all reliability of OBS Studio.

9 and a half weasels, 49 thumbs up!

RE: OBS Studio 0.13.x - How I've moved on from Bandicam - TheDarkPreacher - 03-02-2016

Still going to stick with good ole Bandicam for now. It uses less of my system resources, and setting it up is easier for me.

RE: OBS Studio 0.13.x - How I've moved on from Bandicam - Vaygrim - 03-03-2016

(03-02-2016, 06:44 PM)TheDarkPreacher Wrote: Still going to stick with good ole Bandicam for now. It uses less of my system resources, and setting it up is easier for me.

Setting OBS Studio to use its Nvidia Foundation encoder, it uses less than 5% CPU while recording. 2% idle!

RE: OBS Studio 0.13.x - How I've moved on from Bandicam - WireWulf - 03-10-2016

I am liking OBS studio still figuring it out but liking it all the same