Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preferred base location/design
Hi everyone. I'm new to the VC mod pack and the League, but am loving it. I've been running the pack for a week or two now and am becoming comfortable with it.

And it is time to relocate from my starter base to somewhere with more room and a better view. So I thought I would ask the League where are your favorite places to build a base, why and what type of design do you use?

Thanks,
Ravenspath
I have a tendency to burrow into mountains for my bases. I put a house on top and then a sprawling multi-level complex inside. I don't have any strong reasoning; it's just a preference. I do look for mountains that form a valley between them and do my farming in the valley. I then build bridges across peaks. If you're lucky, you can find a mountain right next to a Mesa or Desert biome for use in the chemistry side of Mekanism processing.
Thanks for the suggestion SabotCain. By chance I just started my new base in a similar way. It is a cliff at the far end of a cove with some nice size hills next to it that I will be able to dig in to. There is a small valley behind the cliff where I have started my orchard and will be planting crops next. I've built a single room house on top of the cliff and plan on building a room in the middle of the cliff face with a wall of glass overlooking the cove. The cliff faces directly east which will be nice I think.

Thanks again.
I do the same thing, windows in the side of the cliff overlooking the scenery. Good stuff. Glad you found a suitable place.
I know this is a bit more general than your specific question, but here are some elements which I consider when building a final base.

1. Biome location. There are a lot of mods which have some 'widget' which requires a special location. Whether it's building a witch spawner, a windmill, capacitor seeds or a fishing block, if they are integral to your build, look for a suitable location. If they are not, look for a biome with specific advantage. I _really_ dislike rain, so the desert and mountainous biomes are faves. Mushroom islands are really nice for spawn control.

2. Egress defense. This is about both being able to easily get into your base when being followed by a horde of angry native...er, um...zombies, as well as being able to pop out without critters (especially creepers and spiders) dropping on your head. This is my single complaint about the 'mines of Moria' base and why I love underwater bases.

3. Ease of access to mining, farming and your base. As much as I like under the sea, it makes farming tricky. Having a mountain-top lair can put you 100 blocks from diamonds. Having a sky-castle is REALLY cool, but if you died and have no way to fly, how do you get back to your grave?

4. Space. Tier 6 Blood Altars are huge as are fusion reactor setups. If you're going for a big build, plan ahead and mark off (mentally or physically) the space in the basement, attic or that cave over there so you don't have a Well of Suffering in your living room (nobody likes that...unless you're DP).

5. Aesthetics - Last but not least, there is aesthetics. The colors of a mesa biome can be stunning and an impressive view from a mountain-top is really something which can't be understated.

For base design, I try to group things. Magic stuffs are over 'here'....farming 'there'...another area for tech stuff and a large open area to do testing. There is almost always a central storage area which serves as a hub unless there is a remote storage option (like RFTools, Logistics Pipes or *coughgagAEcough*).

For some examples, you may want to look at the base build challenge we did here or watch some of the fine vids put out by Vaygrim and the folks.

Hope this helps.

Pax,

Mer

(06-06-2016, 09:10 PM)Ravenspath Wrote: Hi everyone. I'm new to the VC mod pack and the League, but am loving it. I've been running the pack for a week or two now and am becoming comfortable with it.

And it is time to relocate from my starter base to somewhere with more room and a better view. So I thought I would ask the League where are your favorite places to build a base, why and what type of design do you use?

Thanks,
Ravenspath
I tend to let the terrain dictate what I do since I start with a plan but end up doing something else since I've found a location I liked better. Playing on the VC3 LP server though I did go in with a plan and followed through I decided to forgo the normal mining into a mountain and just build one instead. I say find a place you like and decide from their be flexable and you will never be disappointed and end up with a really complex base you can be proud of.
PC Specs
AMD FX-8320 processor, R9 390x graphics card, 24 gigs of ram 
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_vpzjs...PJAkhNYIIQ
If all else fails blame me Tongue
If you haven't seen Ferg Mountain yet, I highly recommend checking out his YouTube channel and giving it a peep. And then check out TheDarkPreacher and Vaygrim for contrasting but equally awesome base building methodologies. A list of VC3 YouTubers' is here:

http://vaygrim.com/vcs3/
Thanks fergcraft and SabotCain. I have seen Ferg Mountain in the Let's play. And I have to say it was really cool. I need to learn how it was created as I would really like to do something similar. And I saw DarkPreacher's as well. Very cool. Watching those videos and the livestreams I think I've gotten better at building, but still have a long way to go.

I hope there are some other base tours from the others on the server.