Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Star Wars Battlefront [PC]
The news that DICE and EA were going to put their Battlefield coding skills to a Star Wars game was like Christmas had come early for me - being a loveer of the Battlefield Franchise, the Frostbite Engine and, more importantly, the Star Wars universe.

I was considering getting this game on the Xbox One, but a flash deal on the PC version rapidly changed my mind, and with my shiny new GTX 960 installed, I eagerly awaited the download and install to complete to get my latest Star Wars fix (the last star wars game I played was Battlefront 2 on the Playstation 2).

When the game started, my first impression was that the menu's are a little bit clunky, especially if like me you use a controller rather than keyboard & mouse.  That aside, once the battle commenced I actually spent a good 10 minutes getting killed because I was spending far too much time looking at the jaw dropping scenery on the Endor level.  In fact, all the levels are gorgeously rendered, and instantly recognisable if you've seen the movies, and the character skins are very well made.  Storm Troopers look suitably storm trooper, and the Ewoks on the Endor level are a great source of mirth as they scurry for cover under an AT-ST attack.

My excitement at the opportunity to power up and play as either Vader or Skywalker was not misplaced.  Being able to wade into the battle while deflecting blaster shots with your lightsaber, or crush larynx with Vaders force choke is a great feeling - if somewhat short-lived, since your health bar constantly diminishes, regardless of whether you take hits or not, and on "death" you respawn as your regular character.  Obviously spending the whole game as a hero would be unbalancing, so I guess this is a minor complaint.  However, despite the other characters looking amazing, Skywalker looks nowhere near as realistic as Vader and Fett, lookoing almost to be made of plasticine that rendered with the same quality as other models.

Controls are pretty standard, and the ability to set your sensitivity on mouse or controller works well.  It's very similar to playing Battlefield, though the option of 3rd person view is a welcome addition. I have discovered however, that I'm suffering from a rather annoying glitch, in that on death, my screen goes blank for around 3 seconds before cutting to show the player who dealt the final blow.  While not a game changer, it IS rather annoying, and despite my investigations and requests for assistance on the EA forums, my issue remains unanswered and unresolved.

All in all, I'm enjoying this game, probably more that Call of Duty: Black Ops.  It's easy to pick up, fun to play, and amazing to look at.  Audio is great, and the sounds through a headset are good, with twangy blaster sounds and the scream of a passing tie fighter, it's easy to believe you are immersed in the Star Wars world. It's just a shame that there is no campaign mode.

Verdict
Graphics: 8.5/10 - Beautiful backdrops, but Skywalker looks like a toy, and the black screen issue is annoying (though possibly only an issue that I alone have)
Sound: 10/10 - Thunderous explosions, Tie Fighters and AT-ST's all sound just like the movies
Gameplay: 8/10 - It's essentially Battlefiled, with added 3rd person.  Solid and fun.  Lack of a campaign is a disappointment

OVERALL: 8.5/10: Great fun - especially with friends.  Looks and feels like a Star Wars game should.

Note: This is actually my first ever full on game review. I'd appreciate feedback.
PC Specs: Core i7 3770, GTX 960 4GB OC, 16GB RAM, 64GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 500GB HDD, 2 x 23″ Monitors, Win 10
Consoles: Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS 2, PS 1, Sega Master System, Sega Megadrive, SNES
First of all, I think you did a great job for a 'First Review'. 9 and a half thumbs up, would read again!

I've heard mixed opinions on the game's financial model; some folks don't mind how it has been setup, while others object to various aspects. That being said, for the most part everyone seems to agree that the actual GAMEPLAY is solid and generally fun all around. Also flight controls for vehicles seem to be better using a Gamepad? True / False?
Yes. Gamepad for light controls. Mouse control is HORRIBLE lol
PC Specs: Core i7 3770, GTX 960 4GB OC, 16GB RAM, 64GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 500GB HDD, 2 x 23″ Monitors, Win 10
Consoles: Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS 2, PS 1, Sega Master System, Sega Megadrive, SNES
A Awsome review right there!

I personally played the beta on ps4 and i really had my doubts about the game thinking it was just going to be another battlefield.. i was wrong it was awsome and now i play it a fair bit on the ps4 when i can get of black ops 3 lol
[Image: 422504_10150576623394824_199479756_n.jpg...2974cfe646]